Location: Major Asian financial centre, flexible depending on candidate’s location*
Employment: 12-month, full-time contract
Start date: Immediate start
Remuneration: Subject to negotiation depending on experience
Sector: Not for Profit
Applications: Send expression of interest and resume to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for Applications: 28 February, 2021
About Climate Action 100+
The Climate Action 100+ is an initiative led by investors to engage with the world’s largest corporate greenhouse gas emitters to improve their performance in addressing climate change. To date, over 540 investors with more than USD $52 trillion in assets under management have signed on to the initiative. This initiative was developed and launched by five global investor organisations, including the Asia Investor Group on Climate Change, Investor Group on Climate Change, Institutional Investors Group on Climate Change, Ceres and the Principles for Responsible Investment.
The Climate Action 100+ Asia and Asia ex-Japan Working Group is comprised of over 80 signatories for Asian-specific engagements. They engage with 33 focus companies in the region, of which AIGCC coordinates 18 company engagement teams, with PRI managing the other 15. The engagement agenda focuses on improved climate governance including lobbying and remuneration, emissions reduction targets and strategies, and disclosure using the TCFD framework including scenario analysis.
Role description & responsibilities
This role will be responsible for the coordination and facilitation of engagements on 18 Asian focus companies in alignment with the goals of the Climate Action 100+ initiative. This will include assisting the Senior Manager with engagement co-ordination, tracking and monitoring of signatory activity, rollout of global projects at Asian markets, facilitating webinars and meetings, and assisting with signatory research needs. The role will also be a key member of the engagement co-ordination working groups and other working groups related to company benchmarking and sector decarbonisation.
The role reports to the Senior Manager, Climate Action 100+.
Specific duties include:
- Build rapport and engage investor signatories to CA100+ and co-ordinate engagement meetings where necessary.
- Track and monitor engagement progress across the 18 AIGCC Asian focus companies, assist with secretarial duties and identify investor capacity building needs.
- Develop a program of work to rollout projects in Asia, including (but not limited to):
1) Climate Action 100+ Net Zero Company Benchmark
2) Signatory Accountability and Review
3) Development of new indicators to the CA100+ Net Zero Company Benchmark
4) Global Sector Strategies
5) On-boarding of new Asian signatories
- Management of relationships with data providers, NGOs and other key stakeholder as required to deliver the research needs of the initiative.
- Participation within company engagement groups where appropriate, to deliver insights and contribute to priority setting and evaluation of company performance.
- Participation as the AIGCC representative on selected global strategic projects and working groups as required to deliver major research, sector strategies and benchmarking projects.
- Actively contribute subject matter expertise within the Asian Working Group and other AIGCC working groups as appropriate.
- Collaborate with other AIGCC initiatives as required.
Qualifications and experience
- Degree in a relevant area – ideally finance, economics and/or environment.
- At least 5 years of work experience in investment and equities analysis, ESG, shareholder engagement, or corporate sustainability. Experience in working in sectors including oil and gas, electric utilities, mining, automotive and/or industrials companies would be highly regarded.
- Interest and experience in corporate climate performance including governance, emissions reduction targets and disclosure.
- Experience delivering high-quality reports and briefing papers for external stakeholders that draw on significant qualitative and quantitative research.
- Fluency in an Asian language (Chinese, Korean, Japanese) preferred
- Experience in relationship management and coordinating with partners and/or consultants to deliver a project outcome.
- Ability to evaluate workload and prioritise projects in a fast-paced, demanding environment.
- Strong organisational, project management, writing, verbal communication and interpersonal and skills.
- Able to direct and manage multiple projects at the same time.
- Able to work well independently and as a team member.
- Comfortable working with different personalities and people.
- Desire to work in a mission-driven and non-profit environment.
Work arrangements and salary
This is a full-time 12-month contract position with possibility for extension. This role is based in a major Asian financial centre, with additional regional travel as required. Note: some of the global working groups require attendance at meetings and calls outside of standard business hours.
Working in an industry association is about working in a small environment where people’s opinions are valued and listened to. We encourage open communication and transparency and promote a dynamic work environment.
Applying for the role
AIGCC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate against any individual based on race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by applicable law.